Resources for Additional Information
- Coastal Services Center: develops decision support tools for risk assessments and coordinates community modeling efforts.
- Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory: serves as a research test bed for new tsunami forecast products.
- NOAA's Tsunami Page
Tsunami Research Plan (2007)
- Tsunami Warning Centers: operates the West Coast & Alaska Tsunami
Warning Center in Palmer, AK and the Richard H. Hagemeyer Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Ewa Beach, HI.
- Storm Surge
- Meteorological Development Laboratory: develops the SLOSH model and other products to enhance surge forecasting. http://www.nws.noaa.gov/mdl/
Coast Survey Development Laboratory: develops coastal models and co-leads the community modeling framework.
- Inland Floods
- The National Weather Service, Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service (AHPS) inundation page.
- Office of Hydrologic Development: conducts and manages applied research to improve precipitation estimation and forecasting as well as river forecast models.
- Hydrometeorology Testbed Program: focuses on accelerating the infusion of new technologies, models, and scientific results from the research community into daily forecasting operations.
- NOAA Coastal Impacts of Tsunami and DEM Discovery Portal
- National Geophysical Data Center: manages all data related to past tsunami events, including information
on wave height, inland flooding, deaths, damage, and economic impact from tsunami events. NGDC also hosts the NOAA
Digital Elevation Model Discovery Portal,
a Web map interface for locating and downloading published DEMs and identifying locations of upcoming DEMs.
- National Centers for Environmental Prediction, National Hurricane Center:
provides operational forecasts of storm surge for threatening hurricanes and conducts storm surge studies using the NWS's
SLOSH model for coastal emergency managers and evacuation planners.
- National Centers for Environmental Prediction, Environmental Modeling Center:
maintains and enhances NWS operational numerical forecast systems for weather, ocean, and climate prediction, including hurricane forecast models.
- Tides and Currents
- Center for Operational Oceanographic Products and Services:
collects, analyzes, and distributes observations of water levels, currents and other data.
- National Geodetic Survey: defines and manages a national coordinate
system including accurate height benchmarks; supports vertical datum transformations through VDatum development.
- Earth Systems Research Laboratory: (QPF Research)
- National Severe Storms Laboratory: (MPE Radar Research)